Sometimes, as a busy photographer, you just need to know just a little piece of learning video, such as editing, color grading, or just getting started shooting video.
Or maybe you want to go beyond the basics and talk about challenging light, color grading, or a more emotional edit.
I'm here for you!
This is the page where you purchase personal, one-on-one online mentoring hours with me.
Mentoring is all about meeting you where you are in your artistic journey, and helping you see with your heart, not just with your eyes. It's about learning to make creative decisions that identify with your vision and aesthetic. It's about pulling together visuals, music, processing, editing, and styling: creating cohesively - with *your* unique voice.
Please read all the information as mentoring payments are non-refundable.
- My time! You can ask me anything, whether it's personal, business-related, artistic...
- Screen sharing: watch me work and ask questions along the way - perfect for visual learners.
- Lifelong Access to digital content on your topic(s): these may include step-by-step instructions, creativity exercises, photo samples, diagrams, and video tutorials - all yours to keep.
- I show you all my best time-saving tips and techniques in Premiere Pro and Lightroom.
- Inclusion in the Everyday Films Alumni Group, where you can ask questions any time.
- A computer with:
- Adobe Lightroom
- Your choice of Adobe Premiere Pro (what I use) or Apple Final Cut Pro or Filmora by Wondershare
- A laptop, desktop, or tablet computer (phone is too small to see screen details) with webcam and microphone
- You must be comfortable shooting in manual mode on your camera.
- Your availability Monday, Wednesday, or Friday between 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Eastern time, or 8:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Eastern, Monday - Thursday evenings. I don't offer mentoring on weekends, which means no Saturdays or Sundays.
- All purchases and payments are non-refundable.
- Gift cards are available and may be redeemed for one-hour sessions.
- This is *NOT* the information presented in the workshop, so if you are truly starting from scratch, I strongly encourage you to take the workshop. Workshops are more like group mentoring, with the support of others, and they are designed to coach you through one complete project, from zero knowledge to completed film, in 4 weeks.
- All mentoring is online, via Skype, because I share my screen with you so you can see *exactly* what I'm doing behind the scenes.
- All hours must occur on on the same day. (If you book a 2 hour or more session, you cannot split it up over days.)
- Additional time cannot be purchased with the one-hour session. Book 2 hours if you think you need it; it's a $100 savings over deciding at the end you would like more time.
- All hours begin and end at the agreed upon time, so please don't be late. I will allow a 10-minute grace period before leaving the call. If you must reschedule, I require 48 hours' notice. I will do my best to reschedule you, but you may have to wait a few weeks. I only allow one rescheduling, and only with 48 hours' notice, or time is forfeited.
- For one-hour sessions, payment must be made in full to reserve your spot. For 2 hours or more, half is due at the time you reserve your date. The remainder is due in full 14 days before your session, or your date becomes available again.
- Mentoring is not available to anyone teaching or planning to teach online, or who lives in NC, SC, or GA. However, the workshop is still available to residents of those areas.
- Starts with zero experience or knowledge of video, but can be tailored for advanced students too
- Camera gear for Beginners (If you're an advanced student: Let's use what you may already have: skate, tripod, monopod, prism, filters...and use that creatively)
- Camera Settings for Beginners (for Advanced: Using frame rates and exposures creatively; slow motion tutorial)
- Stabilization and Focus for Beginners (for Advanced: Creative use of soft focus and creative exercises on aperture choice)
- Option 1: Camera Movements for Beginners (for Advanced: Decision-making for when to use movement)
- Option 2: Managing challenging light
Color Grading + Color Correction
- Your choice of grading in Lightroom or in-editor (in Premiere)
- I show you exactly what I do to process my video clips, from the card to organization to ready-to-edit footage. (Advanced: creating your own presets)
- I show you how to grade with style and confidence, making processing decisions based on your artistic voice. (Advanced: creative exercises on mood emulation)
- I teach you how to apply the same processing across film + photos so you maintain consistency across your work, looking professional.
- I take your footage and show you step-by-step how I would edit it and why, going through not only my process, but my decision-making process so that you can make your own unique decisions.
- We talk about editing basics: how to make decisions on what to use, trimming, and exporting. (Advanced: more in-depth practice on decision-making when to cut)
- I show you how I use music cues (Advanced: cueing clips with other musical elements for a more emotional, impactful edit)
- Storytelling basics: how to avoid disorienting people and make your video make sense visually and across time (Advanced: creating cohesion from the clips you shot)
- Send me one of your videos, and we will go through an in-depth critique (or two, if your videos are short enough and we have time)
- 6 Areas will be critiqued (details sent ahead of time)
- I will identify your strong suits and areas to work on and what to do next.
- If you have 5 or more videos, we can do a portfolio review during this time.
- You may record this session for your personal use.
- Add a Month to your Cart and pay. This serves as full payment for 1-Hour packages, or the first half payment for 2 and 3+ hour packages. You must pay the last half 14 days or more before to retain your date.
- If you'd like to pay for a 2 or 3+ Hour package in full up front, simply Add the Month to your cart, then add the other option you need, below, and checkout.